Sunday, February 19, 2012

WRITE, EDIT, SUBMIT

Okay, I do all three with a modicum of success.

Concerning those times where success is fleeting (or non-existent), there are questions. How often do I submit material to the same publisher and get nothing but rejections? Are they trying to tell me something? Is it an exercise in futility to keep sending material and meet nothing but a brick wall, sometimes not even a response to a reasonable follow up query? Maybe they just don’t like ANYTHING I write. Anything? Everything?

Well, it IS an exercise in futility. At last to me. Why waste my time and their time if they just aren’t interested? So, for better or worse, I’ve allotted myself three rejections from the same publisher before I stop submitting material to said publisher. I figure that’s enough. After the third rejection, they won’t hear from me again unless they approach me first. And if they DO approach me for material, they’ll be EXTREMELY lucky if I agree to their request. Of course, I’m sure the well to draw from is deep so a story from me means little to nothing.

Too much to ask for? Am I being selfish, perhaps even a little bitter? Maybe. All I can say to that is que sera sera. Three strikes and I’m outta there! Besides, I’ve got my own ideas on how publishers (most, but certainly not all) select the material they elect to publish, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the story, its content, quality, or entertainment value. But that’s a subject for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment